Shoulder pain can be a result of a variety of reasons. It is generally a common problem that can affect anyone. It involves stress and pain in muscles, ligaments, cartilage, tendons, or nerves in your shoulder area. Sometimes, it is temporary, when caused due to injury or a shock, and sometimes it can grow into a chronic problem for some people. The good thing is there are many ways we can treat it. Shoulder pain treatment is available in every aspect of medical science, from Physiotherapy to Ayurveda. You can go through trial and error till you find a method that suits you and is effective.
What does a shoulder pain treatment include?
A shoulder pain treatment includes many home remedies, exercises, etc. These are easy to perform and show magical results if done properly and consistently. Some of the methods are mentioned below.
- Heat therapy: This is a go-to remedy for shoulder pain treatment. It helps ease the pain by using a heating pad or even a hot water bottle.
- Cold compress: Another way to help release the pain and reduce the swelling in that area is with the help of an ice pack or even ice cubes wrapped in a towel.
- Compression: An elastic medical bandage is also something that is used in a shoulder pain treatment.
- Anti-inflammatory: Shoulder pain treatment includes Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs), which can help you lessen the inflammation in your shoulder.
- Muscle relaxants or pain reliefs: Shoulder spasms or muscle tension can be reduced with the help of a relaxant. Pain reliefs such as pain killers, ointments, creams, and gels are also useful in shoulder pain treatment.
When to consult a doctor?
The above mentioned methods were some home remedies and immediate steps to take for shoulder pain treatment. It is, however, better to consult a doctor for proper medical treatment.
- Identify your problem: It is important to be sure about whether your pain is temporary because of a condition or is prevalent for a longer period of time, say about a week or so. Pain while doing normal activities or pain in movement can be due to stiffness, frozen shoulder, dislocated shoulder etc., See if the pain is getting better after immediate remedies or not. If not, then consult a doctor.
- Take proper rest: A shoulder pain treatment is not solely dependent on medications and drugs. Proper exercise and nutrition help you in recovering and healing. You need to be patient while undergoing the treatment and take as much as rest you can. Stop doing activities like lifting heavy weights, driving, etc., that might increase your pain.
- Prevention: Stretching and making corrections in your posture are the best ways to keep your shoulders strong and flexible. You can take the help of stretching to ease out any discomfort around your shoulder area. Also, if you exercise regularly, keep a check on your form. Working out incorrectly can lead to an even worse issue in your shoulder. Also, keep your posture proper while sitting at a desk or working on a laptop or phone, and even while sleeping. Continuous stress after being in one position can cause a problem.
The movement of our hand is dependent on the joint present in the shoulder area. Any discomfort or stress, or tension because of an injury or other underlying health conditions can affect it . Thus, it is important to take care of our shoulders, knees, etc. Although ageing people face constant trouble in their shoulder joints, they can take the above- mentioned steps for their shoulder pain treatment and also the help of their doctor.
Tags: Shoulder Pain, shoulder pain treatment, clinical Pilates, Physiotherapy, female physiotherapist, podiatry, physio
Author bio: I am Amelia Varley, a qualified blogger. Here you can see my skills which give you small ideas on understanding all the concepts with different themes. I love to write the blog on different topics, like health, home décor, Automotive, Business, Food, Lifestyle, Finance, Flowers etc.